Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills \(aka Set Square\)

Default Central heating / hot water upgrade

D S wrote:

I've just bought a flat (1900s conversion). I having a new bathroom
and combi/condensing boiler put in and wondered what the general
consensus was on the central heating. Do I need to / should I replace
the rads and flush the system if I'm going to put in a new boiler or
will it be okay just to connect the new boiler to the existing system?

A lot depends on the age, condition and adequacy of the existing radiators.
With a new boiler, you will very likely end up with a non-vented
(pressurised) system - whereas it may be vented at present. If the radiators
are suspect - particularly if corroded - the higher pressure will probably
finish them off, and you will have leaks all over the place. At very least,
it's a good idea to replace the valves - and probably mandatory to fit TRVs
on most radiators, if they don't already have them.

The other question is one of heating capacity. Are the existing rads the
older, non-finned, variety? Do they produce adequate heat? If the heating
needs a boost, replacing non-finned with finned of the same size increases
the heat output by about 50% without taking up any more wall space.
--
Cheers,
Roger