Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Fred McKenzie

Default Magnetized meter

In article %zZLf.1774$%v4.565@trnddc03, "Mike Muderick"
wrote:

I have a battery tester meter (Mallory) that came from a retail store. The
meter is magnetized and now sits center scale, instead of over to the left.
Any solutions to return it to it's normal state. I tried reverse polarity-
it goes to the left, but then returns to center.

Mike-

It is not magnetized. Since you have shown that static electricity is not
causing it, there are two other causes I can think of.

1. It is a zero-center meter movement that is biased to one end of the
scale when turned on and working.

2. There are coil springs at both top and bottom of the meter shaft.
These springs oppose each other. One of them is broken.

Fred