Posted to rec.woodworking
W Canaday

Default Mortising Machine Questions

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 04:26:46 +0000, Joe Tylicki wrote:

The Powermatic actually comes with a sharpening cone. After the first try
in rock maple was defeated, I dressed it up a little on there and was able
to make a hole, albeit with one hell of a lot of force. I was nervous
about doing anything to the outside of the chisel lest I change the
diameter. Can you tell me more about how you polish the bottom sides?

Nothin' to it, mate. Lay it out on a (flat) fine bench stone and give each
face a few strokes. You aren't trying for a mirror ... just making it
smoother than it was. It's unlikely you'll remove even .005" unless you
make a second career out of it.

If you aren't sure if your stone is flat, rub it against another identical
stone for a while. Use lubricant.

Bill