Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

Default 7" grinder faster?

"Emmo" wrote in message
Yes Steve, I heard ya, and I appreciate it. Certainly makes sense to put
less down, and I can wait on the big grinder until I see the results from
that.

I do lots and lots of tubing. I have three hand grinders. Each a 4"
Makita. One has a thin grinding wheel, one a sanding disc, and one a cup
knot brush. It really saves time from switching them all around.

That being said, I have found that a light touch and a small wheel is better
for taking off material than a bigger one. The bigger one leaves bigger
marks which, in turn take more time to take off unless they are too deep,
then you have to fill them up with weld metal and grind that mostly off.
AGAIN.

Try to get the best results you can using the smallest wire you can and
removing the least amount of material you can from the final weld. Or just
get a good looking weld and buff it with a wire wheel and paint it. Flat
"invisible" welds are nice, but a lot of work unless justified by the final
price of the item, and then, they should each take the minimum amount of
time to achieve.

Just some observances from my shop.

Steve