Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

Default Oil burner problem

"Digsy" wrote in message
news

Another bump.

I've been doing some reading up on single-phase AC motors and my
symptons are classic for a starter ciruit failure. From what I've read
this can be down to three things (assuming that the motor isn't plain
and simple gummed up somehow).

1) Starter capacitor
2) Centrifugal switch
3) Starter windings

(1) Is a simple "replace it and see" job - relatively cheap. (2) Is a
"motor apart and clean it" issue. (3) Would mean a new motor.

I don't think it's the starter windings because when it starts, it
starts up fine. If the starter windings were fried I don't think it
would start at all. The centrifugal switch gives a nice combination of
an electrical fault that could be fixed by a swift kick so I think
that's my prime suspect for now.

I'll have to take the motor out to look at the capacitor and check the
connections so hopefully I'll be able to split the motor casing and get
at / clean the switch at the same time.

The standard burner motor doesn't have a centrifugal switch. The capacitor
remains "in circuit" all the time the motor runs.