Posted to sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.engr.control,uk.d-i-y
SJF

Default Water head, pressure, pipe diameter

"Gregory L. Hansen" wrote in message
In article ,

I thought the classic way of dealing with water hammer is an upright,
capped, air-filled length of pipe connected to the line.

Correct. There is also the possibility of using a pop-off valve as used on
steam boilers set for something like 70 pounds of pressure -- located near
the cabin, of course. This would assume the occasional spurt of waste water
can be accommodated.

OT --I was once assigned as maintenance engineer for a group of irrigation
projects. At one location we had a buried 39 inch pipe, a mile long, from a
reservoir to the head of a canal. Failure of the local crews to observe
operating procedures at the springtime turn on of the system resulted in
water hammer that blew off three manhole structures along the length of the
pipe. Fortunately, no pipe was broken and we were able to get the system
back in operation before water was needed. But we should have had some kind
of custom designed pressure relief device built in near the end of the pipe.

SJF