Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ken Moon

Default Das Lathe Bench

"charlie b" wrote in message
Along the lines of the woodworking bench I built, the lathe bench in
progress
warrants the title Das Lathe Bench. Have begun putting up web pages on
it genesis and construction. I've got $25 in baltic birch ply, $50 in
lead birdshot and $60 in the beefy, adjustable from the top with an
allen
wrench, leg levelers (same as on the work bench)

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/...eBenchTOC.html

Probably over kill - by an order of magnitude - but it should do its job
when finished - the finish being multiple coats of dewaxed garnet
shellac-
as in 10 or more coats.

Comments, suggestions, constructive criticism appreciated.

charlie b

=====================

Charlie,
A question and a comment:

Q. How many pounds of bird shot does $60.00 buy?

C. Do you plan to do any finishing on the lathe? If so, I'd recommend a
couple of coats of polyurethane over the shellac, or you'll have the finish
spotted by the solvents in your finishing products. The poly may spot some,
but not nearly as much as shellac.
Just my opinion, YMMV.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.