Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roger

Default I want to Build a Tap Guide Block

"Mike" wrote in message
. com...
snip--
Awesome!!
Thanks so much

Welcome! Good luck with the guide.

Harold

I'm almost positive that the Workshop Series - Making Small Workshop
Tools has all the info you need on making tapping guides.

I made some a few years and have used them without any dramas
ever since, they are made of some mild steel rod, squared off in the lathe,
with a hole about 1/64 larger than the tap nominal size drilled through the
centre. Length varies but mine long enough so that all the thread on the
tap is inside the guide before I start. Diameter also varies, seems like
I used about 3 times the hole diameter to the diameter of the guide with
a nice little "step" on the bottom of about 5 times the hole diameter.