Posted to sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.engr.control,uk.d-i-y
Harry K

Default Water head, pressure, pipe diameter

Harry K wrote:
wrote:
Cameron Dorrough wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...

My query is:

1) how high up the hill should the collecting drum be?

2) is there a danger of too much pressure if the collecting drum is too
high up the hill?

3) is a pressure regulator at the cabin necessary?

I shall appreciate any thoughts and opinions on the subject.

You didn't say how far up the hill the spring is... If you plan to bury the
barrel higher up the hill than the spring, you will most likely have to
install a pump to fill the barrel.

Hi. Thank you for replying to my query.

The spring is quite high up the hill (at the moment I do not know the
height), however there is already a pipe from it going down to the
ranch. The goal here is to tap into that pipe to fill a buried 55 drum
and have the over-flow continue down to the ranch. The bottom of the
barrel would then be plumbed to the cabin.

If you do need to install a pump, it is probably cheaper and a lot less
trouble to install the barrel, pump and a pressure regulator at the cabin
itself to save installing several hundred feet of pipe and pump motor
cables - and maybe use the excess head pressure to run a turbine supplying
power to both the pump and the cabin.

There is no power at the cabin. As for the excess pressure, the amount
of work (w=fd) the water could perform at the cabin would be zero: the
water flow would be at where the 55 gallon drum is. But I like the idea
of getting power out of the water: at the moment the water flows into a
fish pond and then is piped down to the river---- all gravity fed.

HTH,
Cameron:-)

But you could use the overflow if it is run through a pipe down to the
cabin. That will give you 43 psi and 10gpm to work with. Would supply
quite a goodly steady amount of electricity - expensive electricity
until the equipment amortizes but...

The only time you would get less than 10gpm flow would be while water
is being drawn at the cabin.

pressure regulator. It is absolutely unneccessary unless you go
-way- up the hill to install the collector barrel.

pipe size. You might as well go with the 1.5 in as the difference
in cost between that and a smaller size over 100 ft is minimal.

Harry K

Ooops. I forgot. Your total run is going to be well over 100 ft. 100
ft is only the rise. The pipe cost will still not be a budget breaker.

Harry K