Posted to sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.engr.control,uk.d-i-y
Gregory L. Hansen

Default Water head, pressure, pipe diameter

In article ,
Jerry Avins wrote:
mm wrote:

This is a ranch, man. If there is water hammer, they'll hammer back.
8-)

Ranch, shmanch. If there's a serious water hammer it can blow a fitting
off the pipe. There's more than 300 lb of water in 400' of 1.5" pipe.
How fast do you think you can stop it without breaking something?

Stretch in the pipe wall helps considerably. With polyethylene pipe, t
can reduce the peak pressure to one quarter, down from the 1000 psi that
steel pipe might generate.

There's 37.5 gallons in out hypothetical 400' run of 1.5" pipe, weighing
about 300 lb. At 5 gpm, it flows at 100 fpm, or 17 ft/sec or over 5 mph.
If you slam a 300lb weight into a cinder-block wall at 5 miles an hour,
would you bet that the wall stands? I wouldn't!

I thought the classic way of dealing with water hammer is an upright,
capped, air-filled length of pipe connected to the line.

--
"You're not as dumb as you look. Or sound. Or our best testing
indicates." -- Monty Burns to Homer Simpson