Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark D. Zacharias

Default Sony HCD-GX450 laser

wrote in message
ups.com...
A-4751-431-A - the part listed as BD-81A CD Board, Complete? From the
schematic, it doesn't look all that simple. I'll pass on that one.
How do I tell if I need the mod?

I have not been into the unit far enough to tell if the bubbling/flat
lens thing is the problem - whether it's fried, or just died. I can
certainly get into it to find part numbers, mod numbers, etc - any way
to get hold of the service bulletin details? Sony?

On the support track, Sony has gotten back to me by e-mail, and 'fessed
up that you have to call a real person. Did, and they guided me
through the cold restart procedure, to no avail, and are passing me on
to escalated service on Monday. We'll see if that brings an
economically viable solution to this one.

They actually asked if I bought the extended warrantee with the unit -
As I explained, I bought Sony for the quality, thinking I wouldn't need
the warrantee...

Frustrating.

Meanwhile, thanks for the help, from all on the site - it's nice to
know I'm not alone...

There are supporting JPEG pictures to aid the servicer. Please DO NOT copy
this post to Sony, merely make reference to the known problem and service
bulletin. Servicers are not supposed to give them out.

SYMPTOMS

The CD will not play. Upon closer examination of the optical pickup the lens
or lens cover is found to be deformed due to heat.

RESOLUTION

Read the following text completely before upgrading the unit. Perform the
following counter measure* before replacing the Optical pick up. *Check the
part number on the CD board before performing the upgrade. If the part
number on the board is 1-860-502-13 no action is required. Add the
insulation material to the board before you solder the components. See
figure 3 for details.: 1. Cut the pattern as outlined in figure 1 (see
attached). 2. Remove R163. 3. Connect DIODE RB441Q as shown in figure 2
(attached). Connect the diode with the anode to land of R163 on IC101 side.
Connect the cathode to XTCN (CON201 PIN20). 4.Connect a second DIODE RB441Q
as follows, Anode to the land of R163 on IC101 side. Connect the cathode to
XRST (CON201 PIN19). 5. Connect a 33K ohm Carbon Resistor to the land of
R163 on the IC101 side and DVDD TP (R204). 6. Connect a 100 ohm Carbon
Resistor to the land of C163 on the IC101side (IC101 PIN100) and XRST
(CON201 PIN19). See figure 2 (attached) for more details. Replace the
defective Optical pickup.

Mark Z.