Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

Default Mortising Machine Questions

"Joe Tylicki" wrote in message

3.) How hard can you safely bear down when drilling? To get the first
hole into rock maple (my first test in cedar wasn't so bad) required quite

bit of force.

That will vary for every type of wood, and often on the oopposite end of the
same stock.

4.) How much should I try to take off with subsequent holes? Is there

rule of thumb, such as half the width of the chisel or two thirds?

Again, that can depend upon the bit size and the particular stock your're
mortising at the moment.

I generally start with a cut on either end of the markup, then take as big a
cut as I can without leaving anything between. Smaller bits, generally more
generous cuts, depending upon the stock.

*It helps, on subsequent cuts, to insure that the chip clearance slot in the
chisel is pointing into a previously drilled void.

5.) What are the most useful sizes of chisels? I started with the

1/2".
They had a lot of 5/16" in stock and some 1/4". I realize it depends what
type of woodworking you do, but I'd still like to know whats most popular.

Depends ... my most used are 1/4 and 3/8's, with an occasional 1/2" ...
rarely 3/4.

I have cut a _BUNCH_ of mortises with my machine and I am still using the
same Chinese bits that came with it three years ago. But I do use the Lee
Valley sharpening cones often.

Sharp chisels and bits, and a reasonable feed rate, are the keys to getting
good results from these benchtop machines.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05