Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart

Default Mill reccomendations for a robotics team?

Robin S. wrote:
"The Eternal Squire" wrote in message
oups.com...

I'm window shopping for my own machine, and inexpensive but idiot
proof (BUT NOT CHILD SAFE !!!!) choices seem to be offered by MAX NC
(http://www.maxnc.com/). If you have a couple thousand to spend, I
would recommend that the school buy the MAXNC 10 CL-B.

With respect, the worst advice I have yet read in this thread.

MaxNC machines are too small and flimbsy to put up with ameteur machinists.
CNC is *not* required or recommended(!). A good manual machinist is required
to make a good CNC machinist, period.

I would recommend a Bridgeport or knockoff. You'll spend the least amount of
time messing around with the machine, they are the most tolerant of
mistakes, and they are the most rigid of the mentioned machines (desktop,
benchtop, floor).

Personally I like a heavier machine with a more powerful motor and faster
spindle for manual aluminum work, but the BPT will be a good match for the
type of work being described.

I agree.

I bought a MAXNC-10 for my electronics business
thinking it would be useful for making test fixtures.
The small working area, tiny spindle and steppers
and slow speed have caused it to be nearly useless
to me. I've had a couple chumps wanting to buy it,
but I'd feel guilty if I sold it.

A bridgeport or equivilent would be good. Next on
the list would be the cheapest knee mill you could
find with an R-8 spindle.