Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Hartigan

Default Fiberglass mesh or paper tape for mud joints?

I've been using fiberglass mesh tape for most of my mud joints over
the past hundred years or so (maybe a hundred or two sheets total -
strictly DIY), and was wondering - lacking a banjo, bazooka, or
whatever that thing is called, what kind of tape would a pro use? I
understand that the mesh tape does not work in these machines, so
that would be a no-brainer on the job. But when the situation calls
for manual application, which is preferred? Is the preference based
on ease of application? performance? both? I've never gotten the
hang of paper (I *always* get bubbles) - that's why I use mesh.
Should I try to perfect my paper technique, or is mesh ok? FWIW,
I've had very few cracks over the years - would paper make that even
less likely?