Posted to sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.engr.control,uk.d-i-y

Default Water head, pressure, pipe diameter

Jerry Avins wrote:

wrote:

My query is:

1) how high up the hill should the collecting drum be?

2) is there a danger of too much pressure if the collecting drum is too
high up the hill?

3) is a pressure regulator at the cabin necessary?

I shall appreciate any thoughts and opinions on the subject.

50 PSI is not too high for domestic plumbing. The pump switch at my
country cabin keeps the tank pressure between 30 and 50 psi. (The tank
level is approximately floor level.) There is a pressure-relief valve
rated at 150 psi to ensure that the tank doesn't burst from
overpressure, and the pipes can withstand more than that. PVC schedule
40 pipe is rated at 280 PSI cold, derated to 210 at 90F. (Derate to 72%
to allow for water hammer.) Where freezing is possible, you may prefer
polyethylene, which withstands somewhat lower pressure but tolerates
freezing and better withstands water hammer.

In any case, 1-1/4" pipe will generously supply your cabin from any
reasonable distance. My cabin is supplied by a 1" pipe through a 100'
run from the tank I mentioned. My suburban house is supplied from the
main 125' distant through a 1" pipe, and inside plumbing is 1/2" copper,
though 3/4 would be better. "Just do it" would seem to be appropriate.

Humm. Thank you for your reply. We plan on burrying the pipe about 24
inches because freezing is a problem. However we will also plumb a
fitting to drain the system. The owner of the ranch, bless her heart,
wants water in the cabin even in the winter, so we plan on burrying the
supply system and then adding drain taps to the shower and sink.

The owner of the ranch suggested 1.5 inch pipe but I said, guessing,
that would be "over-kill." However, it also occured to me that bigger
is always better. :-) If they can afford the 1.5 inch pipe, I'll
install it. I think polyethylene will be used since that is what is
used on other parts of the ranch (there is water already going to The
Big House and also water going down here in the bunk house where I
live).

Your system uses a pump; the cabin where the ranch owners want water
does not have any electricity (nearest power line is 22 miles away) so
it must all be gravity fed. Elizabeth wants hot water, however, so an
on-demand propane heater will probably be used. Since there will be no
tanks at the cabin, perhaps we will skip the pressure relief valve.

Thank you for your reply.

Jerry
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ