Posted to alt.home.repair
JeffArchT

Default rotting desk posts - question about the wood

Tony Hwang wrote:
werwer wrote:

I just saw this other post about a deck and it's wood posts and
wondered....

I built my kids a tree house and sank 6x6 treated posts in the ground
to support it (3 feet down, no concrete). How long will these last?
The wood is 'green' treated and purchased from Menards - which isn't
a 'industrial' lumber yard. (I've been told treated lumber varies in
quality)

Location Minnesota - rain and snow.

Thanks

Hi,
At least until your kid does not want to play in the tree house, LOL.
Just make sure water drains away from the post. Up here in Calgary
they build basement with treated wood(no concrete pouring).
Properly done, as good as concrete.

Tony - Out of curiousity -- are they *still* building them out of
treated lumber?

My parents have a PTF on their house. In the 80's, it was a new and
innovative, and CMHC-endorsed. I think they're a wonderful idea, and
would consider using one on my own house, even today (I don't lick
walls much)... but god knows what the fallout will be if
pressure-treated lumber turns into asbestos.