Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Default Microwave buzzing a vibrating

Stay out, why? I know there's a HV capacitor in there, and I know
electronics plenty good enough to know what not to do.

And yes, you're right. Magnetrons are expensive. However, I just
tracked it down to the diode. 0.040 V drop in both directions. Yeah,
it's shorted. Much cheaper than a new microwave.

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
Stay out of that thing. And if you could buy a new magnetron, it would
probably cost more than a new microwave.

Perce

On 02/26/06 06:48 pm wrote:

Samsung MW8490W, about 6.5 years old. Tried microwaving something
today, and the microwave just vibrates and buzzes. It's definately a
60Hz-based buzz. No arcing or odd smells. Everything appears OK
except the metal enclosure vibrates violently like there's a loose
transformer in there.
Oh, it won't heat water, and is drawing only about 350W from the outlet
when running (rear label says 1.5KW).

I can tell you everything you want to know about electronics (well,
almost), but microwaves are somewhat of a mystery to me.

Any ideas on what's wrong, or where to start?