Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Martin H. Eastburn

Default MIG welding with DC power supplies

Just a word of warning - remember the supplies might not work stacked.
Most will. But make sure there is not a problem early on.

I don't see much voltage isolation issue - being so low, but there might
be internal circuits that don't like it.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

Ignoramus20905 wrote:
On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 16:02:13 GMT, Fred R "spam wrote:

Ignoramus2596 wrote:

I have a few power supplies PP-1104C that are rated 100 A at 14 VDC
and 50 A at 24 VDC.

OK... If I put two of them in series, I could get 100 amps at 28
volts. Would that be good enough for welding most stuff. I hope that I
am making sense, I am a little drunk at the moment (wife bday)

If you put the two in series you will have the combined voltages but the
current capacity of the smaller one.

Sure. They can do 100 amps at 14v. So, two of them could produce 100
amps at 28 volts, if put in series. That, I suspect, is not so bad for
MIG welding.

Their current meters show a red area above 100 amps, so, I think,
they could possibly go higher at reduced duty cycle.