Posted to alt.home.repair

Default poly gas pipe

On 25 Feb 2006 17:23:43 -0800, wrote:

what is the difference between the yellow polythylene
pipe designed for gas, and garden variety black polythylene pipe? I am
not planning on using the black stuff, but just curious, as the gas
pipe seems more expensive.

I dont know the difference, but i wont allow plastic gas pipe anywhere
near my home. In fact the neighborhood I used to live, they were
running gas pipes along the street using that yellow plastic pipe.
They were running it on the opposite side of the street. My neighbor
across the street filed a legal suit against the city or gas company
or some such thing. This was about 25 to 30 years ago. He said that
he refused to have a gas line in his yard, claiming he would not be
using it and said it was dangerous. The whole project had to be put
on hold while the legal case was in progress. He won the case, which
would have forced them to run the pipe across the street to my side of
the street, then run it back to the other side again. Well, I was not
really too afraid of the gas pipes underground, but at the same time I
felt it should not be on my side either. So, I contacted the city and
complained. I was told that they had decided to run it right down the
middle of the road. That sounded good to me. When I saw them using
that plastic pipe, I was REAL glad I spoke with them. Natural gas is
relatively safe, but I dont trust plastic pipe for something
flammable. Under the street is a good place for it.