Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich256

Default Ground Or Neutral Wire Question

CanopyCo wrote:
Bud-- wrote:
I have no idea what "get electricity OFF the pipes" means.

I believe that this is the activity of making sure that the water
coming out of your shower is the same electrically as your ground.

That way, you do not get shocked just because you left hand is in the
water while your right hand is holding the shaver with a case ground.

AC mean that 30 time a second that one wire is +, the other 30 times a
second it is -.

No. 60 times a second one wire is + and 60 times a second that same
wire is negative. The other is always at ground potential. The hot
wire actually gets to about 170 volts positive and 170 volts negative
during those swings. The RMS voltage being 120 volts.

Or about 162 volts peak if we refer to it as 115 volts AC.

A quick look shows there are quite a few web sites that describe this:

http://www.ee.unb.ca/tervo/ee2791/vrms.htm

Now if you have 240 volt service one of the hots gets 170 volts positive
and at the same time the other line is 170 volts negative. They both
cross the 0 volts at the same time. So if you are looking at them
relative to each other the one line gets to be 340 volts different than
the other.

In Europe with 230 volt service one line is grounded and the other gets
to 325 volts at 50 cycles (Hz). Or about 310 volts peak if you refer to
it as 220 volts.