Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sony HCD-GX450 laser

A-4751-431-A - the part listed as BD-81A CD Board, Complete? From the
schematic, it doesn't look all that simple. I'll pass on that one.
How do I tell if I need the mod?

I have not been into the unit far enough to tell if the bubbling/flat
lens thing is the problem - whether it's fried, or just died. I can
certainly get into it to find part numbers, mod numbers, etc - any way
to get hold of the service bulletin details? Sony?

On the support track, Sony has gotten back to me by e-mail, and 'fessed
up that you have to call a real person. Did, and they guided me
through the cold restart procedure, to no avail, and are passing me on
to escalated service on Monday. We'll see if that brings an
economically viable solution to this one.

They actually asked if I bought the extended warrantee with the unit -
As I explained, I bought Sony for the quality, thinking I wouldn't need
the warrantee...

Frustrating.

Meanwhile, thanks for the help, from all on the site - it's nice to
know I'm not alone...