Posted to rec.woodworking
Randy Dickinson

Default drill doctor

I had an earlier dirll doctor several years ago, and had no success
with it. I now have one, almost the same model, the 500 or 750, but I
have had very good success with it, I believe that they have improved
them quite a bit, and I don't have the latest model with the metal
guides. I have 3 half inch 64ths sets that I sharpened. It is really
nice to have sharp drills. Also, one set I did with split points, and
the 1/4" set, for easy hand starting with hand electric drills, I find
the split points nice for hand metal drilling.

Someone mentioned concrete bits, I tried and ruined the bits, I think
sharpening them by hand works much better, but that is my take.

As for Harbor Freight drills, I thought I would sharpen a set of them
and it would solve their poor performance problem. It did not, I
friend told me HF drills are junk, I tend to agree, there is no
comparison between them and my "rea": drill bits. I beleive that the
flutes are badly done, but I am no expert.

My take and successes, I like the drill doctor; it is worth the time
to learn how to use it and keep the drills sharp. Of course, the real
small drills just need to be replaced, I think much less than 1/8
inch, but I don't remember it is in the drill doctor manual.

Randy

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 17:40:09 -0800, "ron"
wrote:

thinking about buying one..any opinions would be appreciated,,,ron