Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

Default Slip Sticks & Story Sticks

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article
"Swingman" wrote:

A story stick, properly made and carefully wielded, will generally

result in
a more accurate reproduction, with fewer errors and less waste, than a

tape
measure.

When I stick a 10-foot slab of whatever countertop material between
walls, I create a slip-stick-story-stick-template. *S*
I also use that templating system on vertical surfaces, like for
full-height back splashes (does a wonderful job at locating electrical
outlets and non-level windowsills).
Upon further reflection, my templates are story-sticks... sorta.
I write all kinds of notes on them too.

A rose by any other name ...

I use straight 1 x 4's to mark, from a know reference point, the distances
and height from the floor/ceiling to every receptacle, outlet, drain and
supply pipe (along with their actual dimensions), and any other anomalies,
along on the wall of a cabinet run.

Back at the shop, all these items can be accurately located and holes
pre-drilled, or design work-arounds implemented, in the cabinets for pipes,
under counter wiring, etc. ... all without the inaccuracies of measuring or
revisiting the site.

Multiples of these "story sticks" can be aligned with each other with the
appropriate reference marks, or, as I often do for sink bases, I'll use one
for horizontal location, and a shorter one for vertical location of the
various pipes, receptacles, etc.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05