Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

Default Lye and carbide

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 13:35:38 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Pete
C." quickly quoth:

mark wrote:

I recently tried using a lye (sodium hydroxide) solution for cleaning pitch,
gum etc... from my woodworking tools and it is amazing how good it works.
Today I bought a new blade from Freud and it says do not use custic cleaning
agents. Why? I know it will dissolve aluminum but I thought it didn't harm
steel or tungsten carbide, actually I think this blade says titanium
carbide. Thanks

Possibly it will attack the brazing or cement used to attach the carbide
teeth.

Right. One of the guys on the Wreck years ago posted something along
that line. The potential result is enough to keep from using oven
cleaner for pitch removal.

(Try Simple Green, Mark. It works great!)

- Woodworkers of the world, Repent! Repeat after me:
"Forgive Me Father, For I Have Stained and Polyed."
-
http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design