Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Kitchens - MFI v B&Q v Wickes

Derek ^ wrote:
On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 17:24:36 GMT, Rick wrote:

On 26 Feb 2006 09:12:33 -0800, wrote:

Looking at a largeish fitted kitchen from one of these 3 companies.
Including installation and oven / hob / hood / washer/dryer and
dishwasher.

Any big pluses or minuses with any of them in your experiences?

Cheers,

Fred.

MFI sub-contract their fitting work, we got a good Corgi fitter.
Neighbour 2 doors down got one who was hopeless, they sent him away.

In my experience, the MFI ones have the chipboard on the floor, which
means if the floor is not level you have to pack them up, and also the
chipboard soaks up any water. The B&Q ones have ajustable plastic
legs.

Are you referring to the plinth which in my MFI Kitchen is a sawn down
to size piece of chipboard with the exposed edge against the floor,
and has been stained by water spillages and mopping etc.

Probably a better fitter would have sealed the edge, or got the
heights set up better so he didn't have to leave a cut edge against
the floor. Actually, as a plumber once said to me "Everything in a
kitchen seems to be made of the wrong materials" (

The MFI plinths are normally supplied with a flexible plastic trim
which the exposed chipboard end is meant to sit in. Maybe your fitter
didn't bother fitting it.

As to adjustable legs. All MFI kitchens have them. They have 2 ranges -
Schreiber and Hygena, Schreiber being the more expensive. Only much
older Hygena kitchens didn't come with adjustable legs.

The two MFI Schreiber kitchens I installed 14 years back still look
good.