Posted to alt.home.repair
zxcvbob

Default what are some ways to fish wires through walls?

autonut843 wrote:
Hi,
I've got a fish tape and I sometimes use a piece of string with a
fishing weight on the end of it and hook it with a piece of bailing
wire. I'm curious, what are some other ways to fish wires through
walls?

Obviously if you have a full attic with great access, no insulation,
and you are installing a 3 gang box in a wall, it's pretty
straightforward in most cases.

But sometimes I'm running audio or antenna wires, the customer doesn't
want an opening that would require a single gang plate, and all I've
got to work with is 1 1/2 inch hole in the sheetrock to try and catch
the wire/tape/string/whatever that I dropped down from the attic or
pushed up from the crawl space.

What are some of the tricks/techniques that you all use?

What are some of the tools that you all use?

Anybody have links to any not well known tools that work well for them?

Thanks!

I sometimes knock a bigger hole in the wall behind to work thru, and
patch it when I'm done.

Bob