Posted to alt.home.repair
Kyle Boatright

Default exterior wood filler

"BobK207" wrote in message
ups.com...

Kyle Boatright wrote:
"Zz Yzx" wrote in message
My house is 20 yrs old, in the Central Valley of N. Calif. I've got a
couple fascia boards (2X6 fir) that are showing age: the ends have
split a bit and look a bit ragged. There isn't' any major rot or
deterioration yet.

I plan to srape the paint off, sand smooth, fill the gaps and roughs
spots, prime and re-paint.

Q: What is the best exterior wood filler for this use?

Thanks a heap
-Zz

Bondo works very well in this application.

BTDT w/ Bondo AND epoxy...............on redwood window sills.

Bondo not compatible w/ redwood

Bondo lasted ~1 year
Epoxy 15+

Epoxy is much more expensive but my time is worth it

I never used Bondo again outside

cheers
Bob

epoxy abatron or smith&co (NorCal - RIchmond?)

Interesting. I'm sure fixing the area twice made you happy. Since Bondo
lists "exterior wood filler" as one of the uses for their product, do they
have a disclaimer about redwood? Any chance your experience was due to
something other than "incompatability" - maybe you didn't cut back to a good
enough foundation or something?