Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe T

Default wood filler for exterior use

I'll second Preston's recommendation to use the Minwax products. I have a
circa 1830's colonial and have used the Minwax wood hardener on small
exterior rotted areas after removing all the loose rot and then using their
2-part epoxy. It's great stuff. Waterproof and can be sanded in about 1
hr. Working time is somewhat limited before it sets up so keep that in
mind. Just follow the instructions. BTW... wear a dusk mask when you sand.

Joe T

"Preston Andreas" wrote in message
First clear out all the soft and rotten wood that you can. Then, use
minwax
woodhardener http://www.minwax.com/products/woodmaint/hardener.cfm . Then
fill with their wood filler which is similar to plastic body fillers like
Bondo (which I use as much as their filler). If you don't clear out the
bad
wood, the filler may eventually fall out.

Preston

"Zz Yzx" wrote in message
My house is 20 yrs old, in the Central Valley of N. Calif. I've got a
couple fascia boards (2X6 fir) that are showing age: the ends have
split a bit and look a bit ragged. There isn't' any major rot or
deterioration yet.

I plan to srape the paint off, sand smooth, fill the gaps and rough
spots, prime and re-paint.

Q: What is the best exterior wood filler for this use?

Thanks a heap
-Zz