Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dev Null

Default O.T. Moving to Atlanta

Usual Suspect wrote in
:

I will be moving to my new home near Atlanta Georgia from
Sacramento California in the last2 weeks of March. Does anyone
in the group have any advice about good moving companies, bad
moving companies, scams that will be tried and so forth. I have
previously moved myself in a rented truck but this move is too
far for me do at my age. We will be moving 6,000 to 8,000
pounds. Please respond to the group or email me at
moving(at)emailias.com The really good thing is my new house has
a full basement that I will use as a shop! Wheee!

Ed Patterson

I agree with the other posters about packing a shipping container
yourself and having that shipped. Start calling around NOW!

Hire a few "day workers" to help you load the container. Don't be
shy about making them load it EXACTLY the way you want. Get A LOT
of moving-blankets/padding and ropes or straps.

NEVER let the company "store" the container before it is shipped.
make sure when it gets picked up it goes on the road (same day is
good, next day is so-so, later is a deal-breaker).

Find out EXACTLY when the container will be delivered. Get a
guarrantee for delivery date and penalty for late OR early
delivery. If you (or your agent) are not there when the container
is delivered anything can happen. If you have to call 20 companies
to get a written guarrantee, do it.

Check that the delivery location has adequate space and road for
delivery. Many roads are small and have weight limits.

Make sure you move somewhere you can avoid driving on 285! Try to
avoid living in Fulton county. If you ever plan on using public
transit make sure both your house and work are very close to a
MARTA station. MARTA is O.K. and nice for getting to the airport
but the buses are for extreme emergency use only (they're nice but
SLOW).