Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
greybeard

Default Mill reccomendations for a robotics team?

wrote in message
ups.com...
This is my first post, hopefully I haven't done anything horrible.

Nope.

Not easy questions to answer, as there are many possibilities. Used
Bridgeport, but they're usually 3 phase, and converter, either solid state
or rotary would be required. New, lower cost, KBC tools # VM-22-R8,
(kbctools.com) would be a good choice, BUT 220V single phase. Motor could
be changed out to 110V, possibly 1 HP without any great loss. Mill drills
can do nice work, but depend more on the experience of the one using it
than anything else.

Lastly, would a CNC retrofit be as accurate (if not more) than a simple
DRO?

Quick answer, the repeatability of a machine, to make identical parts within
tolerances is dependent somewhat on the machine. How accurately a machine
can work is dependent on the man running it. I've done some incredibly
tight work on a mill drill, but that doesn't mean I want to do it again,
only that it can be done. A good CNC retrofit for a mill will include ball
screws to replace the lead screws, eliminating backlash. A DRO reads the
actual positions of the table, both will reduce the errors caused by not
considering backlash. (But so would a handful of simple dial indicators
with mag backs on them, it just depends on how much fiddling you want to do
before you start cutting.)

A machine that is poorly set up will do only poor work, and who made it,
it's condition, will mean nothing. Again, right back to the man that's in
front of it. Not having enough time to do it right the first time only
means you'll find time to do it over. Cutting corners to save time will
only mean doubling the time it takes. Cnc requires that you know the
diameter of the cutter as closely as possible, Dro means cut and measure,
then take the finish cut. In the end, the results are liable to be
identical with one or the other. Cnc can produce complex curved shapes more
easily, but that's something that's been done with other methods for over
100 years too. Cnc imposes it's own set of requirements, different from
other methods, Other methods have their own set, mostly measure, measure,
measure. Getting in a hurry is the mother and father of all screwups.

Rich