Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home

Default What to use instead of creosote

"AlanC" wrote in message
oups.com...

The downside to this idea is that if it doesnt work then I will HAVE to
dig out the old concrete block, whereas at the moment I could just
stick another post in the hole and leave it for 10 years.

Can you weld a repair socket to the existing spike?
I couldn't without a lot of practise first. 8-(

IMHO its best to fit wooden posts and fit spurs when they rot after about 20
years.
My feather edged board is now 25 years old and never had any preservative on
it other than the brown muck it was coated in for the first 20 years.
Then next door decided it would look nice in red cedar and painted his side
of *my* fence..
needless to say I had to paint my side then.. grr!

If he had used creosote it would have had to come down as I am not having
that stuff anywhere near me as it gives me a rash amongst other effects.