Posted to alt.home.repair
Calvin Henry-Cotnam

Default Electrical Fishing Tape - your favorite

RichK ) said...

My fishing tape (Ideal) broke not long ago, after 15 years. Will need a new
one.

Was not very happy with the Ideal (in blue case). I've used it a dozen
times in 15 years and it was always very tight going in and out. It was a
steel tape.

Can anyone suggest an easy to handle (in/out) light duty tape (25ft), not
necessarily pro grade.

About 10 years ago, I did some work with an electrician who had a
fish tape made of nylon. It was very strong and could be fished through
things quite easily. Nylon has a basic slipperieness to it, which seemed
to make it a bit easier to pull, especially if a conduit run had a few
extra bends, but the sliperieness can be a hazard if you leave it on
the floor!

I haven't seen a supplier who carried one in nylon, though. Not that I
have been looking very hard - I just check occasionally and haven't seen
one since.

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
"I really think Canada should get over to Iraq as quickly as possible"