Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim McLaughlin

Default Bathroom Floor Replacement Questions

--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
If you really need to reply directly, try:
jimdotmclaughlinatcomcastdotcom

And you know it is a dotnet not a dotcom
address.
wrote in message
ups.com...
20 years for vinyl tile is awesome! Congrats!

No, it was sheet vinyl, not tile. I pulled it and replaced with "small
ceramic tile (1"x1").

I would pull all the old floor and use cement board and ceramic tile.

Yeah, thats what I plan, question is what brand / kind of cement board.

But honestly isnt it time to look at the plumbing? How old is your
home?

Home built in 1972 as far as I acn tell. I am third owner, bought in
1980.

Drains plastic or metal?

Metal.

Supply pipes are galvanized, not copper.

You might be better off doing a complete bathroom redo. Since you home
is getting older

Any plans on selling someday?

If so do a job that will appeal to others!

Things like GFCI outlets, exhaust fan,

Has GRCI I insalled, both at the local plug in boxes plus GFCI breakers.
I also use suspenders and a belt on my pants. G

Has exhaust fan in general part of bathroom.

..additional heat, floor drain so NEXT toilet overflow just goes down the
sewer

Floor Drain -- now thats a thought. Depends upon what the floor autopsy
shows when I pull the particle board. The incident last summervwas the only
toilet tank overflow, so like the 100 yaer flood palin, the next oilet takn
overflow may be 20 years away...

Some put in a shower that has no step over, that way shower drain
drains entire bathroom in flood situation.

Yep. I agree with you that if I was starting om a clean sheet of paper,
wprkimg onlty with bare studs in the room, a no step shower would be
good.ah. I don'ty really want to do the pull out of the cutrent shower pan,
or pitch the floor for the shower drain to act as a floor drain.

See my second post about pocket door from bedroom and carpet issues.
just some points to ponder

Good points. Thats why I asked. Los of folks have different perspectives
and experiences, and I'd rather ask now then after i really fouled things
up.

Thanks.