Posted to rec.woodworking
Peter Huebner

Default How much gap for glue for these joints....?

In article ,
says...

Did the glue itself fail, or the attachment of the glue to the wood?

I would say the adhesion of the glue to the wood failed. But it'd be hard to
say without extensive testing under the microscope, maybe ?!?

The timber we're talking about here is gum - eucalyptus botryoides, ~fastigata,
~pilularis. I've several pieces here in my house, some offcuts of a benchtop he
made for someone which I used to make trivets .. glue failed after 6-7 months.
He also made a butcher's block as a wedding present for us and more than half
the joints have failed on that; I kept having to re-joint it.

I myself tried epoxy on some gum 20 years ago (jarrah, don't know the species
any better) for an end-vice for my woodworking bench and it failed within days.
I never tried again ;-)

I have used all the above timbers successfully with aliphatic, resorcinol,
aerolite 308 and premixed urethane glues and never had any failures so far. Go
figure.

-P.