Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jez

Default Rotary table

Gerry wrote:
I've been needing to buy a rotary table for use with my Grizzly
Mill/Drill. Been thinking along the lines of an 8". I will need to
mount a chuck to it. Can any of you offer some advice? How do I mount a
chuck to the table? Will I have to make a specisl backing plate with
holes to line up with the slots on the table? Would I be better off
just trying to clamp a 6" four-jaw with studs and T-nuts? How do you
more expierence guys do this?

Hi Gerry,

I've just done this with a Vertex 6" table which has a four tee slots
and a 2MT hole in the centre.

I turned a lump of steel into a disc with a Boxford spindle nose screw
thread in the centre, complete with a hole. Four holes near the edge to
hold it down to the rotary table using bolts and T-nuts.

Then I made a 2 morse taper bar (kind of like a test bar). Stick this
in the centre hole, mount a chuck to the plate, put the plate on the
rotary table, grip the bar with the chuck and then tighten down the plate.

Apologies for the poor description - I can send you some pictures to
make it clear if you like.

There are probably other (likely better!) ways of doing it though...

Cheers,

Jez.