Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Boris Beizer

Default Rotary table

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message

Most RTS have 4 radial slots for clamping. Most 4-jaw chucks have 4 bolts
for clamping. Simple. Center the table on the mill, put T-nuts in the 4
slots, bolt the chuck on, center the chuck body, tighten.

3-jaw chucks are tougher.

Not much. Machine a backing plate with 4 holes outboard and three holes
inboard to receive the chuck. Or if you're lucky, I bought a small Bison
3-jaw for my 4" table and also a pre-machined adapter plate. In either
case, then proceed as above to center.

Of course, if your table has 6 slots (common) or 3 slots (rare) then
the three-jaw is easy and the 4-jaw requires and adapter plate.

One trick to help center the chuck when you mount it on the table.
Make up an arbor with an MT#2 (or whatever the table's center hole taper
is) on one end and straight, about 1/2" diameter on the other, long enough
to poke out through the chuck with a bit left over. Pop the MT plug into
the table's center hole. Drop (gently) the chuck, which has been opened to
clear the plug, over the plug. Now tighten the chuck. It should be nicely
centered. Then tighten up the hold-down bolts.

Boris

--

Boris Beizer Ph.D. Seminars and Consulting

TEL: 215-572-5580
FAX: 215-886-0144
Email bsquare "at" earthlink.net