Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default Funny new book - "CrapCars"

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 15:32:05 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Rex B wrote:

wrote:
I hate to admit this, but when I was poor, young and dumb in the
mid-70's I owned two of the cars in this book - 1974 Mustang II and
1973 Chevy Vega.

I had a 1976 "Mach I" for a couple years, first new car I every bought.
Wasn't a bad car, for the time.

I'd still buy a Cosworth Vega if I were to happen upon one. A good
friend is restoring one.
Surprisingly, even a stock base model Vega was a pretty good handler.

Vega GT was a very pleasant little car all around, until you put your foot
through the rusted-out floorboard or your head through the rusted-out roof
or your hand through the rusted-out door . . .

I ran one for a couple years here in California..was still tight and
solid when I sold it to a kid here locally. But then..no snow and no
salt here in the desert.

The phone companies were using Chevettes for low ranker company cars
and occasionally they would show up at Nationwide auctions up in Napa.
I think I bought as least 3 of them, all needing only minor work, let
my wife drive em for a couple years then reselling them for a $500
more than we paid for em, including whatever repair costs there were
initially. Worked out pretty well.

I owned exactly one Pinto..dont remember the exact model..pretty
sporty. Ran pretty good, quick and handled well. Sold it to someone
for what I paid for it after driving it for a couple years. A couple
years later..I get a visit from two very large men from the FBI. It
appears that it had been used in a series of bank robberies in the
midwest somewhere, where the perps had outrun the cops (or out driven
them) and was ultimately found concealed out in the tules. Stolen
plates and they used the VIN number to track it back to us. Seems it
had been sold, but never registered to the new owners. I showed em the
copy of the Release of Liabliity and told them who we had sold it to,
best as we could remember..and they were happy.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3