Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default Question for Ed H.

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 22:47:16 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

With the real proposal of having Mexican workers unload Chinese goods in

UAE
run ports on American soil, I think a lot of "mainstream conservatives"

are
going to start swimming both directions.

What an amazing turn of events! thud (Ow, my jaw hurts.)

What in the **** are these people thinking?

The quick answer: They aren't. At all. Ever.

Very likely they are, and also very likely that they are right: this company
is probably clean, the UAE government is close enough to the US government,
and the actual involvement of the management company in activities that
could pose a threat to US security is probably so remote, that it's no
threat at all. For that matter, the British company that currently runs
those ports possibly could be more easily infiltrated or compromised, or
simply used, than the UAE company.

I don't know, Steve doesn't know, the press doesn't know, and you don't
know. However, this may be the most extreme example of political stupidity
we've seen since Bush decided to go to war against Iraq.

That's all that's going on here. It's all political appearances and
posturing, playing off our general sense of caution and paranoia about all
Arabs.

We're unlikely to find out if it's really a reasonable thing -- it will be
too overwhelmed by the emotional reaction. But there's no question about the
utter disregard for our sense of security, and for politics.

What I dont see discussed much..is that the "ports" being talked
about..are simply container unloading facilities, and not the entire
ports themselves. In fact..as I recall. the "Port of LA" has 6
container unloading facilities..and Dubi is only getting one of them.

Ed has it right (for a change G) The people who sign the paychecks
and utilitie bills will change..but the day to day folks will all
remain the same people. Longshoremen etc etc etc. And as far as any
upper management types that may be brought in..the US and Homeland
Security is the one who approves any visas for those folks..and any
likely baddies will simply be denied one.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3