Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Paper shredder-recomendation

What details are there already filled in on such a credit card application
that someone can't find out from publicly available information anyway?

--
Chris Green

I don't want to give them a shred of information. Yes, they may be able
to get certain details elsewhere but I want to make it as hard as
possible for them.

Who? If identity theft were as common as some people would have us
believe we would probably all know a victim personally. I've yet to see
any hard evidence of large scale identity theft occurring as a result
of someone trawling through the bins.

Still, I suppose we're supporting the shredder industry and keeping a
few people in jobs. They seem to be this years "must have" gadget.

MBQ

I don't know where you live but in London I know of at least 2 cases of
identity fraud with friends of friends. I've also had my bin contents
lifted and my credit cards scammed twice. The last time they even had
my home telephone number which they provided to the retailer! My father
had his credit card scammed. When I was at my sister's flat in central
London we caught a guy rifling through her bin bags - and no, he wasn't
a tramp. I'm not taking any chances.

... and how does shredding circulars offering you new credit cards
help prevent these things happening (though 'freinds of friends' are
ubiquitous in pub stories)?

--
Chris Green

No, it's called being honest. I could have said it happened to 10
personal friends of mine but I told the truth. Bull****ters in pubs
would always say 'a mate of theirs' not a friend of a friend. And that
'mate' normally being the other side of the world in another pub. In
fact one was a friend of my sister so it was only half true, I suppose.
Anyway, I don't spend my life in pubs, I spend my life doing things I
enjoy. And maybe if you didn't spend your time here trying to talk down
to others about how great your life is you could spend it doing things
you enjoy - unless, as I suspect, this is one of them.