Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GFCI outlet for radial arm saw

I just realised we never came up with a solution for the OP. Assuming
the radial arm saw doesn't have a real ground fault, then I see a
couple of possible solutions. He needs to get the saw off of a GFCI.
Now I know code says outlets in a garage need to be on a GFCI, but what
about if the saw could be wired in directly, instead of plugged into an
outlet? Is that exempt from needing a GFCI? If so, he could wire the
garage so the outlets are on GFCI, but the saw is not.

Alternatively, he could make the one outlet the saw is plugged into
non-GFCI, while leaving the rest of the garage outlets GFCI. That is
a code violation, however if it were my garage, and the only reasonable
way to do it, I would consider it. I'd also make sure the saw was
properly grounded, plug up the other outlet on the receptacle, and put
up a warning label.