Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Default HELP me Split 240 to 120

Your circuit breaker is 40 amps per leg. If you plan to use 12 ga wire,
replace the breaker with 20 amp. Since you mention red, black, and white
wires, I'll assume you have a bare ground or steel cable as a ground, make
sure your new cables are connected to the ground wire or junction box ground
screw

"sglaab" wrote in message

OK so I think this can be done quite simply I just need to be positive.
I have an unused 240V stove plug (the 3 pronged triangle shaped) I
would like to use this power to hook up a home vacuum system. I want
to split the 240V line into a 120V outlet for the vacuum itself and the
other line for the outlets at each conection (one on each floor) for the
power for the tools & attachments. I believe I can connect the red
white to the outlet for the vacuum in a junction box and the white and
black to a new wire out to the outlets at each connection. OK so far?

The double breaker in the box says 40 on both connected breakers. Are
they both 20A then? Can I leave this together and use this breaker?
Am I OK here. Thanks for the help.

--
sglaab
sglaab's Profile: http://www.HomeOutfit.com/member.php?userid=277