Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default opinion on Ryobi drill presses ?

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 21:20:29 -0400, "jtaylor"
wrote:

"pogo" wrote in message
.. .
I bought an el cheapo bench top drill press of eBay. Made in China with
absolutely no brand name. Got what I paid for, so live and learn. It works
OK, but was seriously low horsepower motor, and also seems to wobble the

bit
a little bit.

So I am looking for something with more horsepower and better accuracy.

I'll
be doing mostly light metal work in aluminum. I have been eyeing the Ryobi
drill presses at Home Depot. Just wondered if anyone has an opinion on

them.
I've been looking at the $99 ones and the $149 ones.\

My budget is low so that is why I am looking at these for now vs.

something
more expensive.

I got a cheapo drill press and made it better...

a) get the belt really tight.

b) drill and tap two sets of three holes at 120 degrees at the bottom and
the top of the portion of the casting in which the quill slides. Made a
half-dozen brass setscrews with a bit of weed trimmer line inserted
crossways, so they don't vibrate loose. Tighten them up and all the slop in
the quill is gone. (Thanks for this idea, Gunner; works great.)

My pleasure

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3