Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC

Default What to use instead of creosote

"AlanC" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

The windy weather has only just started and one of my fence posts has
blown down. It has rotted at ground level. I have dug out the
remaining wood in preperation for the new post. The post was hammered
into one of these metal post spikes which was then encased in concrete.
This was one of my first attempts at putting up fence posts and
pannels about 8 years ago. I had planned just to use the spike, but
the piece of concrete that held the original post in place was so big,
that when I eventually managed to remove it, there was a huge hole, so
I ended up putting some new concrete in along with the post spike to
keep it in place. I also ended up putting it too deep and the top of
the post spike is a gound level.

The good thing is that its a lot easier getting this rotten post out
than it was with the previous one and in theory all I need to do is
hammer a new post into the post spike. I will be loweing the ground
level around the post a bit to try and reduce the rot, but was also
wondering what kind of wood treatment I should use on the post now that
we cannot get creosote anymore.

Anyone have any good recommendations?

Concrete posts either full height or the shorter ones with holes in that you
can bolt a wooden fence post to

Thanks

Alan