Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom

Default Low water flow, low pressure

"Steve" wrote in message
.136...
Every faucet in my house performs poorly. The first thing in the
morning, they flow pretty well for a few seconds, then slow WAY down.
Some days it's the bathroom sink other days it's the tub; every day it's
the kitchen sink.
---
Here are the symptoms:
* Faucets flow well for three seconds or so first thing in the morning.
* The first faucet turned on usually works this way. Subsequently-used
faucets tend to be slow from the beginning.
* Outside faucets are also slow.
* Bathtub faucets (not shower heads) have flow of about 4 gallons per
minute (GPM).
* The kitchen sink flows a 1 GPM. It's a pull-out-sprayer model, and
that rate is AFTER I removed a kink from the hose. I don't even get
enough flow for the aereator to put bubbles in the water stream. It
occasionally flows really well, but just for a few seconds.
* My sprinkler system works fine, with what looks to me like good flow
with six to eight heads. The system branches off next to the water meter
at the curb.
* I have pressure of 40 PSI measured at the bibcock by the front door.
The next door neighbor has more than 100 PSI. I don't know how much
more, because my gauge only goes to 100. The way the needle hit the
limit peg, I'd guess it's a lot more. My neighbor said taking showers
was painful.

Do you have a whole house filter and/or a water softener. Restrictions in
one of those could cause your problem. By the way, if I was your neighbor,
I would be installing a pressure regulator on my water system. Household
appliances are designed to safely work with 60 pounds pressure. Any more
than that and he's risking a failure that could result in serious water
damage to the house. And of this I speak with experience. 90 pounds
pressure caused me $3000 water damage twice before I got smart and installed
a regulator dropping the pressure to 50.

Tom G.