Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom

Default GFCI outlet for radial arm saw

wrote in message
oups.com...
In my garage I have a 20 Amp circuit which has two 15 amp GFCI outlets.
On this same circuit these are also two GFCI's in the kitchen and
another in a bathroom. My problem is that I have a radial arm saw
which apparently draws too much current in starting up resulting a
tripped GFCI and i can't run the saw. The book that came with the saw
says that there should be "a time delay 15 amp circuit breaker
installed." I'm not sure that GFCI outlets were installed when this
saw was made. An inquiry at an electric supply store resulted in the
information that there is no such thing as a time delay GFCI." My
question is, since it is a 20 amp circuit can I replace the 15 amp GFCI
with a 20 amp one, and will this solve the problem of starting the saw
motor?

I'm not an electrician but my table saw used to trip the breaker until I
started using a 12ga extension cord on it. But even though it was on a GFCI
circuit, it never tripped that but would trip the breaker in the main box.
Sounds like you may have a slight ground problem with the saw. I'm not
qualified to answer your question, however, just relating my experience.

Tom G.