Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Brophy

Default POWER TWIST V BELTS ?

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 01:27:48 GMT, "Searcher"
wrote:

My idea is to put it on my table saw. sound good?

Thanks
Searcher

In just about every "table saw tune up" write up one of the first
things suggested is changing to link belts, and if you have a unisaw
to replace the cast pulleys with steel lathe turned ones at the same
time. I suspect that there may be other brand saws with less than
optimal cast pulleys as well.

I use the fenner belts on just about all the belt drive tools I have,
not only for the benefit of the quieter smoother operation but also
because it allows mew to standardize the belting systems and use the
bulk packed 25' rolls. Since you can determine the length of the belt
via the number of loops even if I run out of spare loop belting I can
always "steal" a belt or two from another machine in a pinch and make
it work. This may be unnecessary since the loop belts are supposed to
last much longer too. I have not had any fail, or even show
noticeable wear in three years thus far. They can transform a drill
press into a different machine that is quiet, true running and
vibration free. I built a "portable" air compressor with a 18 cfm
pump and a five hp induction motor mounted the motor and the pump in
1/4" rubber mat and used power twist belt, when I first started it up
it was so quiet that I thought the air intake was plugged or it was
running backwards or something, nope, it was running correctly and
didn't even have the air intake muffler/filters on yet either. Some
high end wood lathe manufacturers use the fenner belts as stock items
on their products for the same reasons.

I know this would likely draw scorn from fenner, but I once took a 'B'
size power twist belt and using my disc sander and a little jig I
made, "ground" the belt into a 'A' size belt because I wanted to use
the machine immediately and not have to wait for a mail order package
or go to town and buy a few feet of the 'A' size. Seems to be running
fine thus far (the air compressor mentioned above, built a little
over a year ago.). That is the only machine I have with 'A' size belt
so I won't be tempted to do that again hopefully. I like to think
that I am a reasonably safety conscience person, in that situation I
slipped a bit however.

I purchased a box of 25' 'B' size power twist off of ebay and I am
just now down to the last 4-5' in the box, the bulk pricing was less
costly, the 25' cost me about 35-40$ as I recall, whereas from most
places a 5' chunk is usually in the 18-25$ range, for me it was far
better than having a bunch of individual length v-belts that I could
never find the right one when I needed it usually anyway. (I had put
it where I wouldn't forget where it was, in case I needed it...Yeah,
Right!.) I don't have any affiliation with fenner, other than being a
happy customer, impressed with the technology. regards, Joe.