Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Marty Escarcega

Default cutting an axle

John Hofstad-Parkhill wrote in news:qNPLf.34$8r4.1070
@news.uswest.net:

My friend is at it again. His friend has asked him to cut an axle. One
one end is a hub, on the other a spline (32 teeth), it's approximately
1-1/2" in diameter, and 42" long. They wish to cut approximately a foot
of length from this axle.

The questions are many, but how would YOU do it?

He's got a 13" Clausing lathe and a BridgePort.

Hi John. I would send it and the housing to Moser Engineering.
Especially if this is going to be used in some sort of Race Car
application?

Its an art best left to the pros that do it on a routine basis IMHO.
Marty