Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Fred R

Default Machining thin disks on a lathe

Bruce Barnett wrote:

I'm new to metalworking and just got a Microlux 7x14.
I'm interested in machining thin disks - about 1 1/2" in diameter by 1/16".

I see that that some lathes have soft jaws, such as
http://www.taigtools.com/c1051.html

Is there an equivalent solution for the Sieg lathe?
Any other ideas?

Are you starting with a thin disk and machining the edge or face
OR
are you starting with a bar and want to part off thin disks?

Most of the good advice here has presumed the parting off. If you are
actually starting with thin disks you can stick them to a face plate
with double-stick tape or superglue. Hit superglued disks with hot air
or a gentle propane torch flame to release.

You can also fasten a disk of MDF to the faceplate as a sacrificial
layer if need be. Stick the disks to the MDF and have at it.
--
Fred R
"It doesn't really take all kinds; there just *are* all kinds".