Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee

Default Funny new book - "CrapCars"

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 15:32:05 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:
Rex B wrote:
wrote:
I hate to admit this, but when I was poor, young and dumb in the
mid-70's I owned two of the cars in this book - 1974 Mustang II and
1973 Chevy Vega.

I had a 1976 "Mach I" for a couple years, first new car I every bought.
Wasn't a bad car, for the time.

I'd still buy a Cosworth Vega if I were to happen upon one. A good
friend is restoring one.
Surprisingly, even a stock base model Vega was a pretty good handler.

Vega GT was a very pleasant little car all around, until you put your foot
through the rusted-out floorboard or your head through the rusted-out roof
or your hand through the rusted-out door . . .

Vega is the only car I ever heard of that warranted fenders for
rust through. Friend of mine had one in Connecticut and the
front fenders rusted through just behind the headlights in *ONE*
winter.

Engine was built upside down, had an aluminum block and cast iron
head! Any truth to the rumor this engine was developed by the
Dixie corporation that developed the Dixie cup. Their motto "use
it once and throw it away" seems to fit.

Uncle George