Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee

Default Funny new book - "CrapCars"

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 16:18:40 -0800, Tim Wescott
wrote:
To me, the Vega was frustratingly near miss -- they could have spent
5-10% more on the thing and had something that really was a good,
inexpensive car.

===============================
I think you have just identified *THE* cause for the current
problems at both Ford and GMC. The value analysis people did not
know when to stop, or the manufacturing people were over-ridden
by styling.

My current complaint is the use of plastic headlight lenses
and/or projector style lights in place of the standard size glass
lens units. After a few years the plastic lenses start to be
come cloudy and cut down the available light. New units are not
availalbe for most older cars and new ones that are available
cost 100$US and sometimes a lot more. I now have to use fine
compound and a buffer 2 times a year to keep the lenses clear.
Older sealed beams and even halogon units were 10$ each tops.

Projector units have hot spots in the light pattern and tend to
blind the on coming drivers, and also have plastic lenses. If
you get a chance, drive an older car at night with sealed beans
and see the difference.

Uncle George